Sport in Sydney
The 2019 Sydney sporting calendar is jam-packed with thrilling action. Along with top international cricket, the Big Bash League, the HSBC Sydney 7s and State of Origin rugby league is the excitement of thoroughbred racing, motorsports, sailing, golf and all your favourite sports, teams and stars.
With the NRL, the AFL, Super Rugby, the NBL and the WNBL, the A-League and the W-League, the ABL and the Super Netball, Sydney plays host to the top Australian competitions, as well as some of the biggest events in world sport. Check out the events calendar for all the great contests.
Upcoming sporting events in Sydney include:
- Vissla NSW Surf Pro Series: Carve Pro, Maroubra Beach, 18-21 January
- HSBC Sydney 7s rugby, Sydney Olympic Park, 1-3 February
- General Pants Bowl-A-Rama skateboarding, Bondi Beach, 16-17 February
- Kookaburras and Hockeyroos, FIH Pro League, Sydney Olympic Park, 2 and 16-17 March
- Longines Golden Slipper Day, Rosehill Gardens Racecourse, 23 March
- AON Sydney International Rowing Regatta, Penrith, 25-31 March
- Australian Athletic Championships, Sydney Olympic Park, 30 March-7 April
- State of Origin, ANZ Stadium, Sydney Olympic Park, July 10
The NRL kicks off on March 14. The Sydney Roosters won last season, defeating the Melbourne Storm in front 82,688 fans at ANZ Stadium. Teams from Sydney, Newcastle, Melbourne, Canberra, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Townsville and New Zealand will battle the Roosters for the 2019 title.
The National Basketball League season bounces into the March finals. Former NBA star Andrew Bogut is holding court for the Sydney Kings. At 2.13 metres, or 7 feet, the three-time Australian Olympian played 13 NBA seasons and won a championship with the Golden State Warriors in 2015.
In the A-League, Sydney FC and Western Sydney Wanderers FC are up against the best soccer teams from around Australia and New Zealand, scoring goals to May. The W-League is the women’s competition, with Sydney and Western Sydney fighting for supremacy against six other teams.
For motor racing fans, the Australian Muscle Cars Masters at Sydney Motorsport Park, in Eastern Creek, in June is a treat for all fans of upgrading cars into roaring masterpieces. There are racing events throughout the year at Eastern Creek, from V8s to superbikes, sprints and twilight sessions.
The Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race is on December 26, just days before the spectacular Sydney New Year’s Eve fireworks dazzle the night sky above beautiful Sydney Harbour. There are vantage points around the harbour to watch the dramatic start of one of the world’s toughest yacht races.