Sport in Sydney
The 2019 Sydney sporting calendar is jam-packed with thrilling action. Along with top cricket, football, rugby and State of Origin rugby league is the excitement of thoroughbred racing, motorsports, sailing, surfing, golf and all your favourite sports, teams and stars.
With the NRL, the AFL, Super Rugby, the NBL and the WNBL, the A-League and the W-League, the ABL and the Super Netball, Sydney plays host to the top Australian competitions, as well as some of the biggest events in world sport. Check out the events calendar for all the great contests.
Upcoming sporting events in Sydney include:
- Australian Badminton Open, Quaycentre, Sydney Olympic Park, 4-9 June
- Australian and NSW Circuit Power Boat Championships, Hawkesbury River, 8 - 9 June
- State of Origin, ANZ Stadium, Sydney Olympic Park, July 10
- Western Sydney Wanderers vs Leeds United, Bankwest Stadium, 20 July
- City2Surf, Hyde Park, 11 August
- Qantas Wallabies vs Samoa, Bankwest Stadium, 7 September
- NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final, ANZ Stadium, 6 October
- Blackmores Sydney Running Festival, Sydney Harbour Bridge, 15 September
The 2019 NRL season has started. The Sydney Roosters won last year, defeating the Melbourne Storm in front 82,688 fans at ANZ Stadium. Teams from Sydney, Newcastle, Melbourne, Canberra, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Townsville and New Zealand will battle the Roosters for the 2019 title.
In the A-League, Sydney FC and Western Sydney Wanderers FC are up against the best soccer teams from around Australia and New Zealand, scoring goals until May. The W-League is the women’s competition, with Sydney and Western Sydney fighting for supremacy against six other teams.
For motor racing fans, the Australian Muscle Cars Masters at , in Eastern Creek, in June is a treat for all fans of upgrading cars into roaring masterpieces. There are racing events throughout the year at Eastern Creek, from V8s to superbikes, sprints and twilight sessions.
is one of the largest Supercross, Freestyle Motocross and Action Sports events in the world! The Qudos Bank Arena will be transformed into a man-made dirt battlefield on November 9 and 10 for a weekend of extreme entertainment.
The Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race is on December 26, just days before the spectacular Sydney New Year’s Eve fireworks dazzle the night sky above beautiful Sydney Harbour. There are vantage points around the harbour to watch the dramatic start of one of the world’s toughest yacht races.