Old Government House Parramatta
Standing in 200 acres of parkland overlooking historic Parramatta, Old Government House is Australia's oldest public building. It was the country residence for the first ten governors of the colony, including Governor and Mrs Macquarie who preferred the clean air and space of rural Parramatta to the unsanitary and crime-ridden streets of Sydney Town.
The central block of the house was built in 1799 by Governor John Hunter, however the house today owes most to Governor and Mrs Macquarie. Their 1815 extensions, designed by the Governor's aide, Lieutenant John Watts, transformed the house into an elegant Palladian-style residence.
Old Government House and Domain (Parramatta Park) is one of 11 historic places that together form the Australian Convict Sites UNESCO World Heritage property.