Sydney really does shine in summer. There's no other city in the world that offers so many pristine beaches in such close proximity to the city. Culture enthusiasts will enjoy the Opera House, markets in Sydney and a host of Sydney events during this period. And for those who like to party, don't miss New Year's Eve, Australia Day and Mardi Gras.
Sydney travel information
Sydney's laid-back outdoor lifestyle and physical allure make it one of the world's top cities to visit and live in. The stunning harbour provides a dramatic backdrop for the city's famous icons – the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge. Sydneysiders are a friendly, energetic bunch with a positive approach to life.
Sydney is Australia's only global city. It's a city with a genuine sense of style, a love of sport and celebrations including New Year's Eve, Mardi Gras, the Sydney Festival, and the Sydney International Art Series.
You'll find plenty of things to see and do in Sydney. Sydney Harbour is a natural playground, and the views are world-class. There's a wide-ranging cultural life, a dynamic food scene and vibrant cityscape of outstanding contemporary and colonial architecture. Iconic beaches – most notably Bondi and Manly – and five major national parks deliver unforgettable outdoor experiences.
Sydney extends north and south of the harbour in a golden chain of easy-to-reach beaches. You can spend an entire day on the beach as you swim in the surf, then eat and party at the shoreline restaurants and bars.
Sydney is easy to access by car and public transport. Its Orbital Network comprises 10 motorways linked with expressways, freeways and other main roads to get you around the city and surrounding areas. A public transport network of buses, trains, and ferries service the major tourist attractions, including the beaches and shopping precincts, as well as the many accommodation options in Sydney.
Saturday 1 August to Monday 31 August 2015
Oyster Festival Everyone's favourite Oyster Fes
Sunday 2 August to Tuesday 11 August 2015
National Variety Bash The Variety Bash is Australia's
Tuesday 4 August to Saturday 15 August 2015
Opera at the Sydney Opera House - Don Carlos (Opera Australia) While marriage brings peace between
Popular pages for this area
- Inner Sydney The inner Sydney suburbs that form a ring around the city centre are lively precincts, packed with attractions and plenty of things to see and do.
- Sydney City Discover what makes Sydney so iconic, from its stunning attractions and historic sites to its lavish shopping arcades and fine restaurants.
- Sydney East The Eastern Suburbs are home to some of Sydney's well known outdoor attractions – the iconic Bondi Beach, Watsons Bay, South Head and Nielsen Park.
- Sydney North Visit Sydney's Northern Beaches or take the kids to Taronga Zoo and Luna Park. Catch the Manly ferry and enjoy not only the beach but also the many shopping and dining options.
- Sydney South Enjoy Sydney South's natural beauty: tackle walking trails along the Botany Bay coast, visit Royal National Park and Cronulla Beach and try Bundeena Kayaks.
- Sydney West Head west of Sydney for some fun-packed action and adventure, including rock climbing, whitewater rafting, go-karting and more.