Home to exhilerating alpine wilderness and Australia's highest peak Mt Kosciuszko, the Snowy Mountains presents a stunning vista of rivers, mountains and glacial lakes. Enjoy great skiing and snowboarding in the cooler months or bushwalk, mountain bike and horseride through wildflowers during the warmer months.
Explore the Snowy Mountains
Head to Kosciuszko National Park for a refreshing dose of crisp mountain air and stunning alpine views. December through to March is the recommended time to hike this unforgettable scenery. Don’t miss the Mount Kosciuszko Summit Walk, which has spectacular views of the rugged landscape. You can also create as much adventure as you like as you kayak, camp, cave, horseride and mountain bike.
The clear waters of The Snowy Mountains are ideal for fishing, with an abundance of Atlantic salmon, brook, brown and rainbow trout. With a NSW fishing licence, cast your line at the Lake Eucumbene, the Tumut River, Lake Jindabyne or the Thredbo River. If you're a beginner, numerous operators offer lessons in Jindabyne and Thredbo.
Visit the banks of Lake Eucumbene, where you will find idyllic Adaminaby near Selwyn Snowfields, home to the Big Trout and located near the incredible Yarrangobilly Caves. Talbingo is also a popular place to stay when skiing or snowboarding at Selwyn. Explore other historic towns and villages nearby such as Cooma, Dalgety, Nimmitabel and Tumbarumba.
During snow season (June to October) enjoy a great range of snow activities, including snow tubing, snow shoeing, snowboarding, skiing and night skiing, and explore various terrain parks. Book a lesson and pick up some great tips for beginners. There's plenty to do off-piste as well. Enjoy the best in après ski, with cosy wine bars, fine dining and great winter shopping.
Friday 4 December to Sunday 6 December 2015
Cannonball Mountain Bike Festival Thredbo's Cannonball MTB Festiv
Saturday 5 December 2015
Cooma Sundowners Cup Head to the Ti Tree Racecourse for
Sunday 6 December 2015
Snowy River Aviators Inc The Snowy River Aviators gather mon
- Cooma Area The largest town in the Snowy Mountains is also the gateway to the State's alpine area.
- Jindabyne Area An adventure base camp for the Snowy Mountains, famous for its trout fishing and water sports.
- Kosciuszko National Park Alpine snow resorts and Mount Kosciuszko, Australia's highest peak, can be found here.
- Tumbarumba Area At the foothills of the Snowy Mountains, the area around Tumbarumba is a pristine wilderness.
- Tumut Area The natural beauty of Tumut, heritage of Adelong, serenity of Talbingo, and taste of Batlow's apples