Working Holiday Visa Applicants

The Working Holiday Maker Program is a great way to explore NSW, working and travelling at the same time for up to 12 months. Many young travellers use this as a way to experience authentic Australian lifestyles and fund their travel across NSW. If you're aged between 18 and 30 and hold a passport for a country or region participating in the program, you may be eligible to apply.

You’ll need to apply for your visa before you arrive in Australia. If you are eligible and your visa is granted, you will be able to work here for up to 12 months, and study for up to 4 months. You can leave and re-enter as many times as you like while the visa is valid.

There are two kinds of visas in the Working Holiday Maker Program; The Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) and the Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462). Both allow you to work and travel in Australia for up to 12 months, but the visa you apply for will depend on which country you are from.

The Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) and the Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) differ in two major ways:

  • The 462 visa has education and english requirements and may require a letter of support from your government of origin, whereas the 417 visa does not, and
  • 417 visa holders may be eligible to apply for a second year-long visa if they complete three months of work in regional Australia, while 462 visa holders cannot.

To apply for the Working Holiday Maker Program, go to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.


  • Types of jobs, Work, Study, Play

    Types of jobs

    Sydney's restaurants, cafes, hotels and bars are always on the lookout for motivated staff, and recruitment agencies are a good place to find office, IT or call centre work. If you’re heading to the bush, you'll find seasonal fruit picking work on offer; check out the the Harvest Trail or Willing Workers on Organic Farms to find jobs around NSW.

  • Work, Study, Play in NSW

    Second year visas

    If you’ve been granted a 417 visa, spending three months working in regional NSW can qualify you for a second year visa. It's a great incentive to experience the quintessential Australian working holiday in an outback pub, or on a farm, cattle or sheep station. For more information and to apply, head to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

  • Work packages, Work, Study, Play

    Work packages

    If you’ve been granted a working holiday visa, a work package is a cost-effective and convenient way to get settled in Sydney or NSW. Pre-purchased arrival packages usually include your first few nights’ accommodation, as well as job seeking assistance including orientation, membership to online job search sites, help with banking and tax, and discounts on training courses and travel products.

Popular Work Packages