Hornby Lighthouse - Sydney Harbour
The Hornby Lighthouse, was built in 1858, immediately after the tragic wrecking of the Dunbar on South Head.
The lighthouse can be reached by a pleasant stroll along the South Head Heritage Trail through Sydney Harbour National Park, starting at Camp Cove.
The Hornby Lighthouse is a circular tapered tower constructed with curved dressed sandstone with the light standing nine metres above ground level. It was designed by colonial architect, Alexander Dawson. The lighthouse tower has distinctive red and white vertical stripes.
The Sydney Harbour Trust assumed responsibility for the Lighthouse in 1900 and undertook renovations. For many years after automation in 1933, it sat neglected and later became a victim of a dispute between the Commonwealth and the State government as to the future of the site.
The area is now part of the Sydney Harbour National Park administered by the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.
The National Park is open sunrise to sunset. There is no entry to the Hornby Lighthouse.
- Symposium: Local Government Roles in Creative Industries and Cultural Tourism - Vivid Sydney
- C.W. Stoneking (AUS) - Vivid Sydney
- Carmen - Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour